st: using postfile in a loop

From   Kushan Thakkar <>
Subject   st: using postfile in a loop
Date   Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:54:08 -0500

I have a dataset the contains the following data:

cusip ticker date prc ....(few more variables).... RminusI

I need to isolate data points for which RminusI is less than its first
decile and then post these data points in a different file. This is
the code I am using.

use masterfile

sort date ticker prc

quitely sum RminusI

tempname A
tempfile signals

postfile 'A' ticker date prc using `signals', replace

post `A' (if RminusI < r(p10) )  //post to a new file if RminusI is
less than first decile

postclose `A'

However, after the post command I get the following error:

ifRminusI not found
post: above message corresponds to expression 1, variable cusip

What am I doing wrong? Is there a more efficient way to do this ?