st: AW: Keeping variable After restore

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: Keeping variable After restore
Date   Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:24:09 +0100

Condition on -if year == 2000- in your analysis instead of -preserve,

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von C.T. Shehzad
Gesendet: Montag, 9. November 2009 15:22
Betreff: st: Keeping variable After restore

Dear Stata-listers:

I want to generate a variable during (preserve - restore) and want to
use that after restoring the data. When I will restore data the variable
will be dropped automatically. How can I keep the variable?

The data is time series and a simple version of my program is as follows:

keep if year == 2000
factor x1 x2 x3
predict var1

gsort -year
replace var1= var1[_n-1] if var1 >= .
xtset country year
xtreg dep var1 controls

The problem in this program is that after restoring the data I will not
have var1 anymore. What can be a possible solution?

Thanks and best regards,