AW: st: AW: RE: AW: RE: RE: Suppress col total in tab2, tabout?

From   "Kaulisch, Marc" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: AW: RE: AW: RE: RE: Suppress col total in tab2, tabout?
Date   Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:41:01 +0100

Dear Roy,

I really disagree with your standpoint. Beside the point that I can read your message as an offence against me although you do not know me, the option I asked for is trivial looking at other software packages.

So why should I spend weeks working to solve a problem in Stata when I can solve it with another programm within minutes (or hours to include automized export)? My employer is paying me for doing research and reporting descriptive statistics to others. I would like to reduce the time spent on the latter task as much as possible to have more time for research. That is the point here.

As said earlier we would love to use Stata through the whole data management, reporting and statistical analysis process. But for the features we need in the short time we have Stata is not suitable for the reporting part as we have certain wishes how a table included in a report should look like.

Marc

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Roy Wada
Gesendet: Freitag, 6. November 2009 21:51
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: AW: RE: AW: RE: RE: Suppress col total in tab2, tabout?

> Of course, these are my constraints.... But I have my obligations in reporting a lot of descriptive statistics to others and limited resources to hire someone to get Stata doing what I exactly need.

There is nothing wrong for asking for new features, but anyone hoping to be able to use a commercial software as a substitute for skill is bound to be disappointed.

Employers are currently willing to pay extra because this is labor-intensive. Suppose it is becomes trivial in about 5-10 years. At that point they will stop paying you for this, for the same reason they stopped paying for type-setters and proof-readers. The productivity gain will go to the software company.

At that point you will be asked to do something else, or forced to take a paycut.

Being able to do something non-trivial has to do with what you bring to the table and not with whether someone should be able to do this easily in Stata and keep the difference.

Roy