Re: st: ado file from my personal folder not loading

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: ado file from my personal folder not loading
Date   Fri, 6 Nov 2009 22:47:58 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Fri, 6/11/09, László Sándor wrote:
> I saved my first ever user-written ado file in my
> personal folder.

This is not directly an answer to your question, but
just a general comment I wished someone made to me
when I started programming in Stata.

When I write a program I usually save it in its own
directory which is _not_ on the ado path, Typically,
something like ../projects/Stata/foo/1.0.0 for the -foo-
program. When I am working on it I will use -cd- to
change to that directory, at which point that program
becomes available. The advantage comes when you have
a working program, stored on your ado path, and you
want to update it. The update usually does not work
immediately, so I want the default program to be
the old program. Only when I am satisfied with the
new program will I move it to the ado path (usually
by submitting it to SSC, and than install it, so I
know for sure I have the same version as everybody
else, which is important in case I get a bug report).
This way I also keep a record of the older versions
of my program (e.g. version 1.0.1 of -foo- will be
stored in ../projects/Stata/foo/1.0.1)

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie