st: -margins- vs -adjust-

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: -margins- vs -adjust-
Date   Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:29:33 -0500

After getting an error with -adjust-, I discovered that it
had been deprecated in version 11. The online help says:

"adjust has been superseded by margins.  margins can do everything
 that adjust did and more."

However, as far as I can tell, this is not the case. I could use
-adjust- with models that did not include factor variables; however,
with -margins- there seems to be no option to find marginal effects
for independent variables that are not i.vars.

Is this true? Or is there a way to fool -margins- into working with
non-factor variables? Apologies if this has come up before, I could
not find anything on the list or FAQ.

If it is true, this is a complete nusiance. I do not normally
include dichotomous variables as factor variables, and am not
interested in starting now. Moreover, I have estimation results
from -xtmelogit- models that ran for days; am I going to have
to re-estimate with -i.female- instead of -female- to get marginal
effects? (-adjust- gives errors). That, or calculate my own
marginal effects from scratch.

cheers,
Jeph