st: RE: xtmelogit and inital values not feasible r(1400) error

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: xtmelogit and inital values not feasible r(1400) error
Date   Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:58:13 -0000

In general, remote diagnosis is difficult for this kind of problem. A
visceral suspicion is that you may be trying to fit a model much more
complicated than the data are willing to bear. From your account, you
are fitting in a high-dimensional parameter space, even if you have lots
of observations.

To steal one of Maarten's lines: start with something much simpler and
see whether it too is problematic. If not, build up to this model,
paying attention to variables that don't seem to help.

Jennifer Schmitt

I am running the following model
xi. xtmelogit knew_SNP i.villagecode i.area i.tribegroup snp_distance
cpa_distance age sex etc (I have another 25+ variables, mostly
dichotomous) || subvillage_code: || household_id:

I then get an "initial values not feasible r(1400)" error.  I tried to
work around the problem by telling STATA to start with initial values
from a simple logit command (using the "-from()-" command), but it still

reports the error.  I also considered extreme values, but those are not
an issue.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!