st: RE: ST: creating new variables from a long list

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: ST: creating new variables from a long list
Date   Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:08:50 +0100

The totals could be as easy as a -collapse-:

set obs 92
gen dataset=_n

expand 230
bys dataset: gen smsa=_n

gen crime=100+int(300*runiform())

collapse (sum) crime, /*
 */ by(dataset)

which gives you an answer in -long- format (in -reshape- parlance), not wide
as you seem to request...