Re: st: AW: Adjust after regression involving categorical variables

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Adjust after regression involving categorical variables
Date   Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:34:48 +0000

Thank you all for your helpful comments.  I think that -margins- may be a
new command in Stata 11 and so I do not have access to it  (I'm still
using Stata 10).
The effects coding may be a way forward for me, I'll have to look into
that a bit more.

Just to clarify my original question - what is the correct adjust command
to get back to the original coefficients in the regression?  The first
-adjust- leaves the categorical rep78 'as is', but the resulting
predictions by foreign do not agree with the coefficients estimated from
the regression.  However, the second -adjust- holds the categorical rep78
at its values in the dataset, which Martin points out are the proportions
that emerge for -proportion rep78-, and the resulting predictions this
time correspond to the estimated regression coefficients.  So the second
-adjust- command seems to be the 'correct' way to treat the categorical
rep78.  Is this correct?  If so, I am struggling to understand what this
means for variables that only take values of zero and one.  I know that it
sets them to their proportions, but how does this make sense when you have
a categorical variable such as sex, where you are either male or female?
In this instance what would setting sex to a specific value, say 0.25,
mean?  Also, if you are setting the categorical variable according to
their proportions, what happens to the reference category?  This does not
have a coefficient and so cannot be set to a specified value?

I hope that all this is understandable,  I am just not fully grasping why
the second -adjust- command seems to work, and exactly what it is
predicting.
Thank you all for your input so far.

Gillian

"Martin Weiss" <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]
28/10/2009 12:18
Please respond to

<[email protected]>
cc

Subject
st: AW: Adjust after regression involving categorical variables

<>

Maybe this FAQ will assist you:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/adjust.html

I am not sure what the question really is. You are conducting two
different
prediction exercises, and they lead to different outcomes, just as you
would
expect: In the first one, Stata holds -rep78- at its values in the
dataset,
in the second one it assigns the mean to them. Note that these means are
the
proportions that emerge for - proportion rep78 -...

HTH
Martin