st: Inappropriate lines joining up between individuals in twoway line graph

From   Ada Lo <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Inappropriate lines joining up between individuals in twoway line graph
Date   Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:05:04 +1000

Hi all,

This is the first time I'm posting on stata list so please forgive me
if I'm not doing it right.

I have a question about the graph produced by this command - twoway
line Memory age, connect(ascending)
The data are in balanced long format, 3 repeated measurements over 8
years for roughly 490 participants with missing data.
I sorted the data by StudyID and age before running the twoway command.
The graph produced should represent the trajectory of memory changes
for each individual. However, I noticed that STATA sometimes joined up
the measurement between individuals when they had missing data.

Does that make sense to people? Is there a way to fix this up so that
I would see a line or a single dot (if only 1 measurement was
available) for each individual?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Ada