st: xtmelogit with variable as fixed and random effect error r(3200)

From   Jennifer Schmitt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtmelogit with variable as fixed and random effect error r(3200)
Date   Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:50:15 -0500

Hello,
I am trying to run xtmelogit with fixed effect dummy variables for village, but also include a random effect (a random intercept) for village. My coding thus looks like:
xi: xtmelogit depvar i.villagecode age gender || villagecode:

However, when I try this I get the following error message:
*:  3200  conformability error
_xtgm_estimate_re():     -  function returned error
_xtgm_estimate_re_st():     -  function returned error
<istmt>:     -  function returned error
r(3200);

I do not understand why I am getting this error message, especially because if I use another dummy variable i.e. area (different that village) and also include area as a random effect the model works just fine. (coding = xi: xtmelogit depvar i.area age gender || area:). Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Jennifer