RE: st: addition of variables in Stata 11

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: addition of variables in Stata 11
Date   Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:11:13 -0000

As usual, -if- and -in- remain available for restriction of observations.

Ekaterina Hertog

Dear Nick, Martin and John,
Thank you very much for the advice! Nick's and Martin's clarifications
on the impossibility of using the -by option is taken.

Nick Cox wrote:

> Please note:
> 1. This is the same function as -egen, rowtotal()- named in my earlier post. -rsum()- was renamed -rowtotal()- in Stata 9.
> 2. However, -by()- is irrelevant to row-wise operations and is in any case not supported (i.e. illegal) with this function.

John Ataguba

> I suppose these are variables created in rows.  You can try:
> egen newvar = rsum(citotal*)
> Note that you can also combine this with the by option if you want to restrict to a certain group or so...

Ekaterina Hertog <>