st: RE: Problem with Left Truncation

From   "Liu, Elaine " <[email protected]>
To   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Problem with Left Truncation
Date   Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:44:54 -0500

Hi Carlo,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I didn't describe the problem clearly.
I understand the estimation can be done, but my worry is that without any treatment, the estimated coefficient would be biased.

X is an indicator variable and it changes over time.
Let's suppose X=1 can prolong people's life (think of a drug).
And different patients are treated with X=1 at different time (they will only be treated drug when they are found to be at risk).
My dataset is right truncated at 2008.

I can observe everyone who have failed in the past when there was no drug.
I'll observe all patients who are treated (X=1) but failed by 2008.
However, I don't observe any patients who are at risk with X=1 and live beyond 2008.
In this case, estimating the impact of X, would most likely be estimated downward, since we don't observe the on-going cases.
This is probably not called "left truncation", but I can't find a better term describing the problem.

Is there way, we can make an adjustment to the coefficient to correct the bias in Stata?
Or is there any paper that addresses this issue?

Thank you all.

I just saw Antoine and Alan's replies after I completed the email.

Elaine