AW: st: RE: creating expanded records with indicator variables, where different ID's reside in the same rows

Subject   AW: st: RE: creating expanded records with indicator variables, where different ID's reside in the same rows
Date   Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:55:02 +0200

<>

" the lingering bug is what to do about records where both samples A and
B"

Stick to Nick`s solution, I was outgunned on this one :-)

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Michael
McCulloch
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009 20:07
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: RE: creating expanded records with indicator variables,
where different ID's reside in the same rows

Thanks to Nick and Jeph and Martin. Here's a summary:
1. Nick's example works very well.
2. Jeph's example not allowing the -keep- statement, probably because
I'm using v10.
3. I created a partial based on Martin's recommendation of -stack-;
the lingering bug is what to do about records where both samples A and
B are true for the same id, as in ID==11?

* My solution
*****
webuse stackxmpl, clear
drop c d
set obs 3
replace a=11 in 3
replace b=11 in 3
list
stack a a  b b, into(id) clear wide
sort _stack
drop if a==.&b==.
replace a=1 if a!=.
replace b=1 if b!=.
replace a=0 if a==.
replace b=0 if b==.
sort id
list id a b
*****

* Nick's example
*****
webuse stackxmpl, clear
drop c d
set obs 3
replace a=11 in 3
replace b=11 in 3
list
gen long id = _n
expand 2 if a != b
bysort id : replace id = cond(_n == 1, a, b)
replace a = a == id
replace b = b == id
l id a b
*****