st: RE: creating expanded records with indicator variables, where different ID's reside in the same rows

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: creating expanded records with indicator variables, where different ID's reside in the same rows
Date   Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:18:51 +0100

Sorry, but I can't even follow your first two steps. Why isn't the
second observation 6 1 0?

Michael McCulloch

I have a data structure that has been gathered as follows, where each
cell contains the subject ID if A is true, and similarly for B.
Therefore, for subject 5, I have A=yes and B=yes, whereas for subjects
6 and 11, only B=yes.

A	B
5	5
6	11

I'd like to transform the data structure such that each row would have
ID, and indicator variables for A and B.
id	A	B
5	1	1
6	0	1
11	0	1

I've tried an approach like this, where I create indicator variables
but A and B, but am not sure how to "expand" from  the data structure
where different ID's reside in the same rows.
	. gen id1=a
	. gen id2=b
	. gen aa=1 if a!=.
	. gen bb=1 if b!=.

It also looks like -reshape- is not suitable because different ID's
reside in the same rows.
Any advice would be appreciated.