Re: st: how to combine Murphy-Topel correction with Newey-West correction???

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: how to combine Murphy-Topel correction with Newey-West correction???
Date   Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:24:38 -0500

Check James Hardin's paper on how a simultaneous variance estimator
can be constructed: I imagine
you could extended in Newey-West fashion, although you'd face a lot of
specialized coding.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM, margherita Comola
<> wrote:
> Dear Statalist,
> I am estimating an probit model where the observations are by
> construction non-independent. In order to get the corrected standard
> errors, I apply a version of the Newey and West (1987) robust
> covariance matrix [specifically, the version proposed by Fafchamps and
> Gubert (2007) in the context of dyadic observation: I correlate the
> error of the observation ij with all the other observations which
> include either i or j: ik, jk, ki, kj].
> Aside, I also need to instrument a (continuous) regressor. For
> practical convenience, I proceed with a two-step estimation adding to
> the probit model the fitted values of the first step regression. This
> boils down to a generated regressor problem, that I know it is usually
> corrected with Murphy-Topel technique.
> Now my question is the following:
> How can I incorporate the Murphy-Topel (1985) correction into a Newey
> and West type VCV matrix? are the two correction compatibles? how can
> I do it, in practice?
> Thanks alot,
> Margherita
> --