RE: st: Elements of Statistical Learning

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Elements of Statistical Learning
Date   Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:21:24 +0100

It's more the other way round. I quoted this book for this reason in
<> on 16

While we're talking free books, I've just been looking at the entire
text (over 500 pp.) of

Brinton, Willard Cope. 1939. Graphic presentation. New York: Brinton
Associates. <>

You can see that self-publishing books on graphics did not start with
Edward Tufte in 1983...

Richard Williams

At 01:14 PM 10/20/2009, Scott Merryman wrote:
>Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani, and Jerome Friedman have put a PDF
>copy of the second edition of their text Elements of Statistical
>Learning on the book's website.

They've obviously been paying attention to Nick's concerns for the color

"Our first edition was unfriendly to colorblind readers; in particular,
we tended to favor red/green contrasts which are particularly
We have changed the color palette in this edition to a large
extent, replacing the above with an orange/blue contrast."