st: identifying comparison groups with similar distributions along one metric

From   "Kate Rohrbaugh" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: identifying comparison groups with similar distributions along one metric
Date   Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:45:22 -0400

This is my first posting to Statalist, so I ask for forgiveness in any breaks in protocol.

I have a dataset of about 300 observations and I am going to separate them into 4 groups -- not totally equal in size but based on certain characteristics.  I want the four groups to all have similar distributions along a certain metric (i.e., cost) -- so the mean, median, SD, etc., are similar, so I want to sample observations from each group.  I'll choose one of the four groups as my baseline (probably the one with smallest range or the fewest number of observations - but I'm open to any suggestions about that as well).

What's the best approach for doing this?  I suspect this question has been addressed numerous times in various places, so being pointed in the right direction is sufficient.  Note: we still have Stata 9.2, so nothing too fancy.

Thank you!

Kate

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-15">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.5730.11" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 12pt Comic Sans MS; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<HR>
</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=1>This email message and any attached files are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. This communication may contain material protected by legal privileges. If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering this confidential communication to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error; any review, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying or other distribution of this email message and any attached files is strictly prohibited. Independent Project Analysis Inc. reserves the right to monitor any communication that is created, received, or sent on its network. If you have received this confidential communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email message and permanently delete the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>