st: Can Stata access the SGE_TASK_ID environment variable (from Sun's Grid Engine) on linux?

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Can Stata access the SGE_TASK_ID environment variable (from Sun's Grid Engine) on linux?
Date   Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:07:00 +0100

Dear Statalist

I am trying to find out if, and if so how, I can access the SGE_TASK_ID environment variable when running on linux? The page http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/unix/environ.html does not include this variable, so am I correct to conclude that by omission SGE_TASK_ID cannot be accessed?

I am using Stata on a high performance cluster, which is running the Sun Grid Engine. I would like to able to load the SGE_TASK_ID environment variable at the top of my do file and use it to set the random number seed. Previously I have been using R, and have been able to load this variable using Sys.getenv("SGE_TASK_ID").

Many thanks
Jonathan