Re: st: Can STATA be used for interactive webb-based analyses

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Can STATA be used for interactive webb-based analyses
Date   Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:34:16 -0400

Is it the case that IC does not support this?

Nick Winter

Vince Wiggins, StataCorp wrote:
Roland Andersson <[email protected]> asked,
I wonder if STATA can be used to program interactive web-based
analyses of large databases. [...]

The answer is yes.  As with any web-based application there is an emphasis on
the word "program".  Such applications involve the interaction of Stata with
web servers and potentially other programs and the best approach often depends
on the specific operating systems, web servers, databases, and other programs
being used.

If Roland is working under MS Windows he may wish to type -help automation-
and then click on the link to

     http://www.stata.com/automation/

If he is working under Unix, he may wish to explore named pipes and other
forms of interprocess communication.

In helping Roland, Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]> brings up the
issue of Stata licensing for such applications.
At the bottom of -help automation- it says,

        Note that the standard Stata end-user license agreement
        (EULA) does not permit Stata to be used as an embedded
        engine in a production setting.  If you wish to use
        Stata in such a manner, please contact StataCorp at
        [email protected].

We do not yet offer what other software providers often refer to as an
"Enterprise edition".  We are currently handling applications where Stata is
used as an embedded statistical server on a case-by-case basis.

Based on what Roland has said about his application, I am inclined to agree
with the suggestion of several other list members.  That is, that the serious
analysis be done off-line in Stata and that a simpler, non-Stata-based, lookup
mechanism implement the specific queries and responses.  In that case, Roland
requires only a standard Stata license for the person doing the analyses.

Regardless, if Roland, or anyone else is interested in using Stata in a
web-based or other server application they can contact [email protected] or
send email to me and I will get the right people involved.
-- Vince [email protected]

Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics                  [email protected] e
University of Virginia          faculty.virginia.edu/nwinter w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904