Re: st: Can STATA be used for interactive webb-based analyses

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Can STATA be used for interactive webb-based analyses
Date   Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:03:18 +0000

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 8:17 AM, roland andersson
<> wrote:
> I wonder if STATA can be used to program interactive webb-based
> analyses of large databases. We have a large national quality-database
> for gallbladder surgery which is continously updated. The aim would be
> to let patients find out the probability of adverse outcomes in
> relation to age, sex, hospital volume, previous health
> characteristics, current disease etc. They could than choose for
> themselves if they want to have surgery or not.

What platform are you looking to develop on?

Under *NIX (not sure about M$-windows or Mac) there are actually two
programs, a GUI and a CLI version.  I use Stata under Linux
(predominantly) and you can invoke the CLI version with a command....

usage:  stata-se [-h -k# -m# -q -w -s -b] ["stata command"]

If this "stata command" were to run a do-file that had been generated
on the fly based on the options the user has specified and the do-file
included writing the results out in a format that the server can
understand then I reckon its feasible (although rather involved and
I've certainly never done this myself!).

I know that R has been used as a back end in a fair few sites and
there are packages written specifically to facilitate  this.

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1).

Email -
Website -
Photos -