RE: st: Factor models in panel data (was: Factor models)

From   kokootchke <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Factor models in panel data (was: Factor models)
Date   Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:12:39 -0400

  <[email protected]>

   <[email protected]>

  <[email protected]>

 <[email protected]>

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: st: Factor models in panel data   (was: Factor models)
> Date: Mon=2C 3 Aug 2009 10:20:48 -0400
>=20
> Thank you=2C Bob. I think the article you suggested is:
>=20
> Koopman and Lucas (2008)=2C "A Non-Gaussian Panel Time Series Model for
> Estimating and Decomposing Default Risk"
>=20
> I am reading it now and it looks useful! (and even if it's not=2C it seem=
s like I should be aware of it!) Thank you very much.
>=20
> Adrian
>=20
>=20
>> From: [email protected]
>> To: [email protected]
>> Date: Sat=2C 1 Aug 2009 18:20:07 -0400
>> Subject: Re: st: Factor models in panel data (was: Factor models)
>>
>> Adrian=2C
>> I read an article in the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics a f=
ew months ago
>> that suggests that State Space models can handle panel data.
>> That might be of some help.
>> You're quite welcome=2C
>> Bob
>>

>> Robert A. Yaffee=2C Ph.D.
>> Research Professor
>> Silver School of Social Work
>> New York University
>>
>> Biosketch: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ray1/Biosketch2009.pdf
>>
>> CV: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ray1/vita.pdf

>>> logs (e.g.=2C log of the U.S. interest rate)=2C or "scaled" appropriate=
ly
>>> to compare them across countries (e.g.=2C reserves/imports=2C external
>>> debt/GDP=2C etc.)? Should I leave them like this in my factor analysis=
=2C
>>> or should I just use the actual variables I'm interested in (e.g.=2C
>>> U.S. interest rates in levels=2C reserves and external debt without
>>> scaling by imports or GDP=2C respectively=2C etc.)?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much once again.
>>>
>>> Adrian

>>> Forni and Lucrezia Richlin have written on this in 1996 and 1998 . In
>>> September 2003=2C Mario Forni=2C Marc Hallan=2C Marco Lippi=2C and
>>> Marco Lippi and Daniel Thornton
>>> (WP2004-013a) in
>>> interest to News."
>>> subject. In 2005 they
>>> in which they have dealt with dynamic factors and model identification
>>> with long and short run restrictions in VAR form. Tao Chen=2C Elaine
>>> Martin=2C and Gary Montague have written an article in Computational
>>> Statistics and Data Analysis (2009) v. 59 entitled=2C "Robust
>>> probabalistic PCA with missing data and contribution for outlier
>>> detection." Rangan Gupta and Alain Kabundi in 2008 (Journal of
>>> Economic Literature) have written "A Dynamic Factor Analysis for
>>> Forecasting Macroeconomic Variables in South Africa." Some
>>> Italian Stata User's Group presented "Dynamic Factor Analysis with
>>> Stata=2C" based on the Coppi and Zannella(1978) and later work.
>>> models. Siem Jan Koopman has also incorporated PCA in his state space
>>> models. James Hamilton=2C in his 1994 classic=2C Time Series Analysis=
=2C has
>>> shown how state space models lend themselves to dynamic factor analysis=
.
>>> subject. Andrew Harvey in 1989 in "Forecasting=2C Structural time serie=
>>> models=2C and the Kalman Filter" has also shown on these factors are th=
>>> unobserved signal components extracted from the data generating process=
.

See how.
>>> http://windowslive.com/Online/SkyDrive?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_CS_SD_photos=
_072009
>>> *
>>> * For searches and help try:
>>> * http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>> *
>> * For searches and help try:
>> * http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>=20
> Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail=
=AE.=20
> http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=3DPID2=
3391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HYGN_express:082009
 		 	   		  =0A=
Hotmail: Free=2C trusted and rich email service.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/=