st: RE: RE: Instrumental variables and panel data

From   Jaime Gómez <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Instrumental variables and panel data
Date   Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:34:05 +0200

Dear Mark

Thank you very much for your message. The problem is that (with xtoverid) I
do not know any way to ascertain whether the possibly endogenous variable is
exogenous or whether I have a weak instruments problem (or whether the
random effects estimates are preferred over the fixed). With xtoverid, is
there any way to know the estimates I have to rely on?. In fact, using the
ivreg2 command with the endog( ) option shows that the variable is not
endogenous, but this is not a panel data estimation and I do not know
whether, from the ivreg2 estimation, I can simply conclude that there is not
an endogeneity problem. In any case, I still would have to solve the problem
of getting the coefficients of the time-invariant dummies if the Hausman
test indicates that the fixed effects is the preferred estimation (could
xthaylor provide a consistent solution?).

On the other hand, I have been suggested to estimate GMM System through
xtabond2, but reading David Roodman's paper, it seems to me that the context
in which this is applied is different (1. I have dummy variables that could
bias the results; 2. I have 59 firms followed an average of 25 quarterly
periods; 3. I have a good external instrument; 4. I do not have lags of
dependent variables as regressors). Please, any advise on this?

Thanks !

Jaime.