st: Boxplots

From   Fred Wolfe <>
Subject   st: Boxplots
Date   Sat, 10 Oct 2009 13:01:49 -0500

Yesterday, Andrew Gelman placed this on his blog:

"I'd love if someone else were to write my article, tentatively titled
"Better than a boxplot," with the following abstract: "We demonstrate
graphical options that dominate the boxplot. We hope that, once these
alternatives are understood, boxplots are never used again." But I
have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to write this article

One response was this:
Jesse | October 9, 2009 10:10 PM | Reply
Here is the first image that comes up when you google it:
The one on the bottom left is pretty great.

Great, indeed. Perhaps Nick Cox, the great Stata GraphMaker, or
someone else could make a Stata program to do this?

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
NDB Office  +1 316 263 2125 Ext 0
Research Office +1 316 686 9195