RE: st: What is an integer for Stata?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: What is an integer for Stata?
Date   Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:01:29 +0100

What you have found is, strictly, an inconsistency and -- at worst -- a small bug. But, like Austin, I don't think it is a serious problem.

Introductory users, I guess, will rarely type

set obs 1e+4

while more experienced users who tried that would quickly realise that Stata doesn't like that and replace it in one of the ways specified earlier in the thread. So, I think this should go on the developers' to-do list as something to fix, but marked as very low priority.

Sergiy Radyakin

Thank you Stas, Scott and Austin!

I guess Stas has pointed an even more serious problem that

confirm integer number 1e4
yields that 1e4 is not integer, while
capture assert mod(1e+04,1)==0
yields that it is.

which has implications beyond the -set obs- statement.

So it does matter how you check for being an integer?

Scott's solution is an obvious workaround, but the point is that 1e+04
should not be treated by Stata as an expression, but rather as a
single entity - a number. In fact it is treated this way in the input
statement:

.clear
.set obs 1
.input z

  1. 1e+01
  2. end

.list

And note that -input- does not evaluate the values as expressions,
e.g. an attempt to input 2+3 as an element of the input statement will
cause an error message "cannot be read as a number". So the parser
used in the input statement is properly programmed to recognize that
"e+" or "e-" after a number is a continuation of the same number,
while the regular parser does not do it same.