AW: st: identifyng records in a group that have a field with nearby values from another group

Subject   AW: st: identifyng records in a group that have a field with nearby values from another group
Date   Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:16:14 +0200

<>

Note Nick`s http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=gn0017, page
15, table 3: -generate- has been around for quite some time...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Michael
McCulloch
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 7. Oktober 2009 22:50
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: identifyng records in a group that have a field with nearby
values from another group

Thanks Scott. Is the code in the second line of the loop, beginning
with -gen- specific to Stata11?
At that line my Stata10 returns "unrecognized command:      generate
invalid command name"
Michael

sysuse auto, clear
levelsof price if fore ==1 ,local(levels)
foreach l of local levels {
     gen group_`l' = 1 if price  >  `l' -200 &  price  < `l' + 200 &
fore == 0
}
sort price
l fore make price if group_4296 ==1

On Oct 7, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Scott Merryman wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Michael McCulloch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have a dataset with two groups, for example "foreign" and
>> "domestic" in
>> the auto dataset.
>> For example:
>>        sysuse auto, clear
>>        sort foreign price
>>        list foreign make price
>>
>> My question is, how to identify "domestic" cars that are within
>> $200 in
>> price from each "foreign" car, and create another variable called
>> "group"
>> that mark these sets?
>>
>> In this case, that would be:
>>        Foreign   Fiat Strada           4,296
>>        Domestic        AMC Concord                     4,099
>>        Domestic        Pont. Sunbird                   4,172
>>        Domestic        Olds Omega                      4,181
>>        Domestic        Ford Mustang                    4,187
>>        Domestic        Olds Starfire                   4,195
>>        Domestic        Ford Fiesta                     4,389
>>        Domestic        Pont. Phoenix                   4,424
>>        Domestic        Plym. Champ                     4,425
>>        Domestic        Buick Opel                      4,453
>>        Domestic        Plym. Horizon                   4,482
>>

> Something like this?
>
> sysuse auto, clear
> levelsof price if fore ==1 ,local(levels)
> foreach l of local levels {
>     gen group_`l' = 1 if price  >  `l' -200 &  price  < `l' + 200 &
> fore == 0
> }
> sort price
> l fore make price if group_4296 ==1