st: AW: Extracting scalar from a vector

Subject   st: AW: Extracting scalar from a vector
Date   Wed, 7 Oct 2009 18:11:09 +0200

<>

Your explanation of the problem is not exact enough to answer, but I think
that -keep-ing is not a good idea, at least not in the absence of a
-preserve, restore-.

You may want to extract the value for the start of the inner loop as x[`s'],
where the desired starting value resides in the row `s'. But I am really
just speculating on your data setup...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von John Pfaff
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 7. Oktober 2009 18:08
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: Extracting scalar from a vector

Thanks to those who helped me with my question yesterday. One more quick
question after that.

I'm trying to extract a scalar value from a vector and use it in a forval
loop. The code I have is this:

foreach s in 6 8 17 21 {
  keep if state == `s'
  forval i = XXX (1) 16 {
 }
}

It's the XXX that is the problem. I have a vector x that takes on different
values for each state s, and I want the forval loop to run from that value
to 16. In other words, x == 14 when s  == 6, x == 10 when s == 8, and so on.
But I have a lot of observations per state, so while x is constant for each
state it is still a vector. How do I extract its scalar value to insert
where the big XXX is in my code? This seems like it should be simple, but
I've been thwarted for a while now.

Thanks so much!

All the best,

John Pfaff