Re: st: Decomposing logistic regression

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Decomposing logistic regression
Date   Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:39:43 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 7/10/09, Rajaram Subramanian Potty wrote:
> The estimated logistic equation can be used to predict the
> probability conditional upon the relevant values of the
> determining variable. Using these predicted probabilities,
> one can compute, using the methodology of inequality
> decomposition, how much of the over all inequality in these
> probability can be explained by a particular factor.

The concept of explained variance is pretty much unique to
linear regression/OLS/ANOVA. Especially the decomposition
of these variances rely heavily on linearity of the effects.
There are pseudo R^2 for non-linear models like -logit-, but
because the effects have to be non-linear I doubt whether
one can decompose those.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie