st: AW: xtline with missing data

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: xtline with missing data
Date   Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:30:55 +0200

Add the option -cmissing(n)- to -xtline-

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von John McAdams
Gesendet: Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2009 23:23
Betreff: st: xtline with missing data

Hi all,

I have a panel data set, and am trying to use "xtline" to graph a variable
over time for each panel unit.  However, the variable is missing for some
observations in some time periods.

When I run "xtline", it does not leave gaps during the periods with
missing data (it connects all the dots).  This leaves one with the
impression that there is in fact no missing data, which is not

Is there a workaround to tell Stata not to connect dots when there is a
missing data point in between?  I tried adding an if statement to the
xtline call (i.e., xtline variable if variable != .), but that didn't

I'm running Stata 10/SE.