AW: st: Number of values in Gaussian Normal Distribution

Subject   AW: st: Number of values in Gaussian Normal Distribution
Date   Mon, 5 Oct 2009 22:06:55 +0200

<>

Ok, I enjoyed preparing this simulation for you, although there was no way
for me to know that you are a Stata 9 user. Note you are meant to disclose
this beforehand from the FAQ...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von [email protected]
Gesendet: Montag, 5. Oktober 2009 20:11
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: Number of values in Gaussian Normal Distribution

Thank you very much for acknowledging my query.
I am doing this ,because I am  trying to understanding a little better
,the concept of Gaussian Normal Distribution,given that it is what
confidence intervals,and hypothesis testing ,boils down to.
I really do not think that it is a fruitless enterprise,to get your hands
a little dirty on such a pivoting concept.
I would like to thank you for the simulation that you have provided.I
adjusted it somewhat to conform to version 9,since I do not have version
10 yet,where I have set obs 60000 and coded gen `z' =
invnorm(uniform()),and set reps(10000) which have given me 5.859 . I am
tempted to think,however that if I run this for a million years ,I
wouldn't get anything close to,infinity.
On 5/10/2009, "Maarten buis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>--- On Mon, 5/10/09, [email protected] wrote:
>> If I understand correctly,if the gap,between two values in sequence,
>> generated by Stata,were a lot smaller, to infinitely smaller, I would
>> have gotten ,a lot more than 68518 values ,to an infinite (uncountable)
>> number of values ,for the points between 0 and 00004. With regards to
>> the farthest maximum point that I was getting ,from the thousands and
>> thousands of draws that I took,that was 6.23026 ,would that be a lot
>> larger ,to infinitely large,as well ?
>
>I don't understand what you want to achieve. The range of values on which
>the normal distribution is defined is -inifinity to +infinity. Even if it
>where defined on a finite range it can still take all values in between,
>and there are an infinite number of possible values between two points
>that are not exactly the same. So for both reasons the normal distribution
can take an infinite number of values.