Re: st: Number of values in Gaussian Normal Distribution

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Number of values in Gaussian Normal Distribution
Date   Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:16:39 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 5/10/09, [email protected] wrote:
> If I understand correctly,if the gap,between two values in sequence,
> generated by Stata,were a lot smaller, to infinitely smaller, I would
> have gotten ,a lot more than 68518 values ,to an infinite (uncountable)
> number of values ,for the points between 0 and 00004. With regards to
> the farthest maximum point that I was getting ,from the thousands and
> thousands of draws that I took,that was 6.23026 ,would that be a lot
> larger ,to infinitely large,as well ?

I don't understand what you want to achieve. The range of values on which
the normal distribution is defined is -inifinity to +infinity. Even if it
where defined on a finite range it can still take all values in between,
and there are an infinite number of possible values between two points
that are not exactly the same. So for both reasons the normal distribution can take an infinite number of values.

Can you give us a bit more background about what you are trying to do?

--Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen