st: increasing memory available to Stata

From   Ekaterina Hertog <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: increasing memory available to Stata
Date   Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:34:00 +0100

Dear all,
I have a computer of 3 GB RAM memory on which I use Stata 10 MP2. My problem is that I work with a very big dataset, but my computer does not seem to allow me to set memory available to Stata larger than 650 MB. Given that my RAM is 3GB I was wondering if there may be any other way to increase memory available to Stata apart from using set mem? Does anyone know what exactly determines the maximum memory that can be set with set mem apart from the physical size of RAM?
I will be very grateful for any advice!
warm regards,
Ekaterina

--