st: RE: LIML xtivreg2

Subject   st: RE: LIML xtivreg2
Date   Sun, 4 Oct 2009 00:20:15 +0100

Filipa,

It's hard to tell exactly without seeing the output, but it's not very surprising.  It's not quite right to say "LIML is robust to weak instruments".  It's MORE robust than 2SLS/IV, but it's still susceptible to weak-instrument problems.  Also, the LIML estimator has no moments, and so finding extreme (and extremely odd) coefficient estimates is going to happen more often than we'd like.

The alternative approach to weak instruments is in the Anderson-Rubin tradition.  Modern versions are due to Moreira, Kleibergen, Stock-Watson, Chernozhukov-Hansen, and others.  This approach is genuinely robust, in the sense that as the instruments get weaker, the confidence interval around the parameter of interest gets wider.  This is implemented in Stata by -condivreg- (which requires an iid assumption) and now, in the latest Stata Journal, -rivtest- by Finlay and Magnusson.  These don't support fixed effects, but you could pehaps include dummies explicitly.  -xtivreg2- reports a simple version of this approach in the first-stage output (see the help file for -ivreg2- for details).

Cheers,
Mark

> many thanks
> Filipa

registered under charity number SC000278.