AW: st: return code for replace

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   AW: st: return code for replace
Date   Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:22:56 +0200

I could also see raoul -clonevar-ing the variable in question as a reference and -compare-ing it after the -replace- action. Strangely, -compare- does not return a -return list-, though...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [] Im Auftrag von Maarten buis
Gesendet: Montag, 5. Oktober 2009 12:21
Betreff: Re: st: return code for replace

--- On Mon, 5/10/09, raoul reulen wrote:
> I would like Stata to give me an error message if after
> using the replace command no changes have been made.
> Does the replace command give a return code indicating
> whether or not a replacent has been made?

No, but you could get there from first principle: I can
see two reasons why no values where replaced 1) you
specified a condition and all observations did not meet
that condition, 2) All observations that meet your
condition already have the value that you want to
replace it with. So I would code something like this
(I want to replace the variable `x' with the value one
if `touse' == 1 and the variable `foo' == 1):

*------------- begin example ----------------
local cond `"if `touse' & `foo' == 1"'

capture assert `x' == 1 `cond'
if _rc == 0 {
    di as err "some informative error message"
    exit 198
else {
    replace `x' = 1 `cond'

Hope this helps,