st: create new variable from imputed variable; -ice-

From   "Cathy L. Antonakos" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: create new variable from imputed variable; -ice-
Date   Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

Using -ice-, I created 5 imputed datasets. The imputed variable of key interest is a continuous variable. When I examine the values of the imputed variable, there are values outside the valid range, which I understand can happen when using -ice-.

The key variable (depression, the CESD) is sometimes used as a dichotomy to determine how many cases lie at or above 16. An even higher cut-off may be used.

I would like to create a dichotomous variable from the imputed continuous variable. Will I run into any trouble doing that? Should I examine the distribution,  to see whether the percentage of cases at or above 16 is similar to that in the original data?

Note that the CESD is a total score, based on a set of variables. However, I did not impute values for the individual variables. I imputed values for the CESD total score.

I would be interested in a reference addressing this type of data manipulation using imputed data.

Thank you for your help.

Cathy Antonakos