st: Comparing variable values with a predefined list in other dataset

From   Andres Gonzalez Rangel <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Comparing variable values with a predefined list in other dataset
Date   Fri, 2 Oct 2009 19:42:54 +0000

Dear Stata-Listers,

I was looking for a solution to the ICD10 problem (and any other diagnostic code related issues) in the FAQ, but I have noticed that the efforts have reached a dead point.  I put my problem into consideration:

I am a Stata 10.1 user.  I have two diagnostic code lists: one of them is local and unique (about 4000 codes) and the other contains ICD10 codes (in Spanish).  Both lists are stored as datasets in .dta files.  I have another dataset which contains data from a research, with about 6 variables containing the corresponding codes for each patient.

I need a program not as sophisticated as icd9, but capable to compare, for every observation, the specified variable's value with every single diagnostic code of the list in the external dta file, and generate a new variable indicating if the variable's value match or not with any diagnostic code of the list.
Such ado exists?  If not, anyone could provide general hints to program it?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Best Regards,

Andres Gonzalez
Epidemiology Graduate Student