Re: st: current do file if error message

From   "Eric A. Booth" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: current do file if error message
Date   Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:52:22 -0500

This is a solution I have used to do what Raoul is describing.
He will have to adapt this depending on whether he is asking the do- files to run from a loop or each one has its own -do- command.

This will create an error log TXT file which contains the file path/ name of the do-file that gave an error & a timestamp to help keep it all straight. In order for this to run, I always put "exit=0" at the end of all of the non-master do-files & turn -rmsg off- so that, if it runs without issues, the error code will be zero. (I'm not sure if it's absolutely necessary to do this, but I do it just to avoid problems I had with getting this to run).

**********
clear
cap set rmsg off
tempname errorlog
cap file close errorlog
file open errorlog using "/user/errorlog.txt", write text replace

**DO-FILE ONE
capture noi {

local file1 "/user/surveyb.do"
do `file1'

}

if _rc != 0 {
di "Error Occured in `file1' ; Timestamp: `c(current_date)' : `c (current_time)'"
    cap file close errorlog
    file open errorlog using "/user/errorlog.txt", write text append
file write errorlog "`file1' ; Timestamp: `c(current_date)' : `c (current_time)'" _n
  }

**DO FILE TWO
capture noi {
local file2 "/user/surveya.do"
do `file2'

}
if _rc != 0 {
di "Error Occured in `file2' ; Timestamp: `c(current_date)' : `c (current_time)'"
    cap  file close errorlog
    file open errorlog using "/user/errorlog.txt", write text append
file write errorlog "`file2' ; Timestamp: `c(current_date)' : `c (current_time)' " _n
  }

//and keep going for all your do files, or set them up in a loop......

  **
  cap file close errorlog

Best,

Eric