Fw: R: st: odd results after insample

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Fw: R: st: odd results after insample
Date   Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:39:32 +0200

Dear Statalisters,
thanks to Brian Poi, some days ago I solved a problem in drawing random
samples from a given dataset with Stata 9.2/SE.
I would like to share Brian's kind reply with whom might be interested in
the same topic.
I also take the chance to thank Martin Weiss one more time for his precious
support along the way.

Kind Regards,
Carlo

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Brian P. Poi [mailto:[email protected]]
Inviato: lunedì 28 settembre 2009 18.31
A: Carlo Lazzaro
Oggetto: Re: R: st: odd results after insample

> I take the chance to ask you whether Stata 9.2 SE (I don't know about
other
> more recent releases) can be programmed to run -sample- repeatedly (and
not
> just one time) for drawing, say, 10,000 random samples from a given
dataset,

Yes, you could do

    . sysuse auto
    . sample
    . sample
    . sample

or put -sample- in a -forvalues- loop.  But you'd have a hard time
convincing me that's the right thing to do.

Or, do you mean something like this:

set seed 1
sysuse auto
gen mean = .
quietly forvalues i = 1/74 {
         preserve
         sample 50
         summ mpg
         scalar mpgm = r(mean)
         restore
         replace mean = mpgm in `i'
}

su mean
di %20.16f r(mean)

That is perfectly valid, as long as you keep in mind that -sample- samples
without replacement.  On the other hand,

sysuse auto,clear
set seed 1
bootstrap mu = r(mean), size(50) reps(74) saving(mybs, replace): summ mpg
use mybs, clear
summ mu
di %20.16f r(mean)

will give you a slightly different answer because -bootstrap- samples with
replacement.

Thus, the $64,000 question is whether you want to sample with or without
replacement.

   /__    /   ____/   /   ____/                       Brian P. Poi, Ph.D.
  ___/   /   /___/   /   /___/                           Senior Economist
                                                             StataCorp LP
                                                       4905 Lakeway Drive
                                                College Station, TX 77845