st: Query re -display request(macmane)-

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Query re -display request(macmane)-
Date   Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:11:34 +0100

I have a query re the -_request()- directive of the -display- command, as described in -[P] display-. (Thanks to Bill Gould and Alan Riley for drawing my attention to this directive at the recent 2009 UK Stata User Meeting.)

Am I right to guess that the -_request()- directive of the -display- command can only accept input from the console, and not from any other channel? And, in particular, am I right to guess that, if I put a -display _request(macname)- command in an ado-file, then it cannot input the next line of the calling do-file, following the call to the ado-file?

What I would REALLY like to do is to write an ado-file that acts something like the -input- command, and inputs the following few lines of the calling do-file as an in-stream input file. For instance, I would like to use my -rsource- package (downloadable from SSC) to run an R program embedded in a Stata do-file. Currently, -rsource- can only link in an R program from a separate file, As in the following code:

**** BEGINNING OF Stata CODE - CUT HERE
save trash1.dta, replace
rsource using nitz2.R
use trash2.dta, clear
**** END OF Stata CODE - CUT HERE

This code saves a dataset -trash1.dta-, then runs an R program in the file -nitz2.R-, and then uses a dataset -trash2.dta-, possibly created by the R program.

I would ideally like to embed an R program in a Stata program, instead of linking it into a Stata program as above. The fantasy Stata code to do this might read as follows:

**** BEGINNING OF FANTASY Stata CODE - CUT HERE
save trash1.dta, replace
rsource, terminator(";;;;")
library(foreign);
wiggles<-read.dta("trash1.dta", convert.f=TRUE);
attach(wiggles);
gptm=2000/(weight*mpg);
detach();
waggles=data.frame(wiggles,gptm);
attach(waggles);
write.dta(waggles, "trash2.dta", version=7);
;;;;
use trash2.dta, clear
**** END OF FANTASY Stata CODE - CUT HERE

This fantasy Stata code first saves a dataset -trash1.dta-, then inputs and executes an R program embedded in the Stata code between the line

rsource, terminator(";;;;")

and the line

;;;;

which is the terminator line for the R code (as specified by the fantasy -terminator()- option of -rsource-).

Unfortunately, when I tried to create a new version of -rsource- with the ability to read embedded files, using the -_request()- directive of the -display- command, it requested the embedded file from the console, instead of reading it from the next few lines of the calling do-file, as I would have preferred. Is there a work-around?

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics