st: Re: Stata Heckman and Mills ratio

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   seb nieto <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Stata Heckman and Mills ratio
Date   Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:24:25 -0400

No. Those two equations are not comparable. You have to include the same regressors in heckman, as in this example:

webuse womenwk,clear
reg wage education age married
heckman wage education age married, select(married children age education) ///
 twostep mills(lambda)
reg wage education age married lambda

The last regression then matches the heckman results (with small- sample standard errors, but otherwise identical). If you believe that the selection variable should be included in the model, it should be included in the heckman regression equation as well to be comparable.

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin   |   http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
An Introduction to Stata Programming   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html