st: testing across different sub-samples

From   "Francesco Trivieri" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: testing across different sub-samples
Date   Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:08:31 +0200

Dear Martin,

thank you again for your answer. I thought about using a Hausman test, but I couldn't figure out how to actually implement it in stata for my case. Please find below a more detailed description of my problem:

I am estimating the following model

xtreg y b1x1 b2x2 b2x3 b4x4 b5x5 (fe or re)

on two different sub-samples (A and B), which can be individuated by a dummy D. In both cases, I compute an index given by the sum of the first three coefficients (b1+b2+b3). Then I need to assess whether the two indexes from the two sub-samples are statistically different. In other words, I need to test whether (b1+b2+b3) in A = ( b1+b2+b3) in B.

Best regards