st: AW: small problem with 'stack' command !

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: small problem with 'stack' command !
Date   Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:32:01 +0200

You should give an excerpt of your data to make answers to this rather
opaque question possible.

Also, have you had a look at -reshape-?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Marwan Elkhoury
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. September 2009 12:30
Betreff: st: small problem with 'stack' command !

dear statalist,

I have a minor problem with the 'stack' command in stata (stata 10 for
windows xp).

I have 5 groups of countries of various size length which I want to
stack into a single group of two variables, say, ctryg totrnk.

right now I have cntry_i, rnk_i, for i=1 to 5
and if I write the following:

stack cntry_1 rnk_1 cntry_2 rnk_2 cntry_3 rnk_3 cntry_4 rnk_4 cntry_5
rnk_5, into(cntry_1 rnk_1) wide clear
ren cntry_1 cntryg
ren rnk_1 totrnk

It, in fact, creates two variables of size length the smallest of the
size length of the groups and not stacking the entire number of

what would be the easiest and smartest way of stacking this
'unbalanced' group of variables, if any, to create one group of two
variables from the 5 different groups ?

best regards,

Marwan Elkhoury