RE: st: -word()- with non space separator

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: -word()- with non space separator
Date   Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:10:51 +0100

OK, so you intended to write that.

I know how -destring- works; I did write it originally....

It is still inefficient, and poor style, to feed to -destring- anything
you know does not need its attention. Even worse, in doing this for
real, you might make unintentional changes to other variables lying
around in your dataset. So, I still think -destring, replace- an
ill-advised example.

P.S. on-lookers should not fear that this is getting personal. Martin
and I bump into each other quite often, and very amiably.

Martin Weiss

" P.S. -destring, replace- is a typo for -destring comp*, replace-."

Nope, fully intentional. -destring- does not require an argunment, but
picks
out the ones that are suitable for it automatically.

Nick Cox

Yes indeed. I'm focusing entirely on Jeph's objection to my solution.

Your solution works, but the merits of other solutions, especially if
they are more direct, remain of interest.

P.S. -destring, replace- is a typo for -destring comp*, replace-.

Martin Weiss

I posted code that knows the maximum two hours ago...

Nick Cox

Not knowing the highest value in advance would bite equally hard with
the method in your previous post, which works from 1 upwards to a
specified maximum, so that objection seems unconvincing to me.

Jeph Herrin

Thanks. I also thought of something like this, but
didn't want to pursue it, if that makes sense. For
one thing, I have literally thousands of variables and
don't know ahead of time what the highest number I
need is.

As for the structure, it may not be the worst, but it
is surely not the best.

Nick Cox wrote:

> Another way to do it:
>
> clonevar work = myvar
>
> qui forval i = 29(-1)1 {
> 	gen myvar_`i' = strpos(work, "`i'") > 0
> 	replace work = subinstr(work, "`i'", "", .)
> }
>
> Here 29 is in general whatever highest number you need.
>
> In words, in addition to the -strpos()- logic,
>
> 1. Work on a copy, because we're going to change it.
>
> 2. Work downwards, from high values down to 1.
>
> 3. Once you've checked for a longer string, zap it so that it doesn't
> later confuse the search for shorter strings.
>
> Incidentally, don't knock the format (or structure). When Uli Kohler
and
> I wrote up the tricks we knew for multiple responses (in this sense),
it
> was pretty clear to us that all such formats or structures have some
big
> advantages and disadvantages. Our efforts are accessible at
>
> FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Dealing with multiple
U.
> Kohler
>         4/05    How do I deal with multiple responses?
>                 http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/multresp.html
>
> SJ-3-1  pr0008   Speaking Stata: On structure & shape: the case of
mult.
> resp.
U.