Re: st: finite mixture models with the EM algorithm

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: finite mixture models with the EM algorithm
Date   Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:30:00 -0400

Thank you all very much for all these comments. Needless to say, I'm
learning a lot.

On my specific model: it might easily be the case that this is the
wrong approach. But in particular, the models that converged (with
-fmm-) had mean mixing probabilities around 50-70% for one of the
components.

In the meantime, we realized that it might make much more sense to
frame our data as a latent class problem. Not simply because that is a
generalization of mixture models, but because we actually have
identifiers on the units that must have determined which model applies
to a given individual observation.

In the specific setting, some intermediaries were trained to implement
our experimental treatment, and we have serious doubts that many did
not comply. But then whole clusters are non-compliers, so mixing is
not on the observation level. I hope it means that we need a latent
class model and I can estimate one using, say, -gllamm-. It would be
nice to still have some power: with -fmm-, we had surprisingly large
standard errors even in a sample of more than 30,000. We had cca. 1500
clusters though.

Thank you again,

Laszlo