Re: st: R: question concerning clustering - second try

From   Johannes Schoder <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: R: question concerning clustering - second try
Date   Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:51:22 -0400

Thanks a lot for the reference and your feedback Carlo!
So I am not that wrong with clustering my s.e. for county.
Best,
Johannes

Carlo Lazzaro schrieb:
Johannes wrote:

< I assume that I have to cluster my standard errors since the
observations within county i might be correlated within counties?>

I don't think that Johannes'question is trivial.
As far as I understand your research purpose, I would advise you to cluster
standard errors for county, since individuals living in the same county are
likely to share the same environment and healthy or unhealthy lifestyles,
which may have some influence on mortality rates.

For a more detailed discussion on this topic, I would refer you to:
Kirkwood BR, Stern JAC. Essential medical statistics. Second edition.
Malden, Mass: Blackwell Science, 2003: 355-370.
Although focussed on clinical trials, the reported examples can be easily
exported to other research fields and tweaked accordingly.

Kind Regards,
Carlo