Re: st: finite mixture models with the EM algorithm

From   Partha Deb <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: finite mixture models with the EM algorithm
Date   Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:22:06 -0400

László,

Stas is correct in that EM would have to be written from scratch and implemented case by case.

In my experience, using models with covariates and sample sizes in the thousands generally, EM has been *much* slower than ML, in part because of the number of M-steps needed for convergence. Also, while EM might be able to deal with multimodalities better than ML (esp. Stata's -ml-), there is nothing inherent about EM that makes it "better". Perhaps one ought to try simulated annealing if one is really worried. In my experience, messing around with the starting values has been sufficiently comforting.

Although the convergence problems you are describing are well within the realm of possibilities of an otherwise well specified finite mixture model, in my experience, such severe convergence issues are almost always indication of an otherwise misspecified model (or a poorly specified model vis-a-vis the assumed mixture). I've observed that convergence is more difficult when one has indicator variables with low frequencies, especially when the mixing probabilities are "lopsided" - perhaps this is an issue. What happens if you estimate a sparsely specified model? What does the kernel density of the outcome look like?

cheers,

Partha

László Sándor wrote:
Thanks very much, Stas!

I just heard today in lecture from Guido Imbens that EM might solve
the problem when the likelihood is multimodal, as in the case of
mixtures. Can we reasonably expect Stata's ML procedure to solve this
problem anyway?

With -fmm-, convergence seemed to be really tricky for me. I had to
dig deep and enable -ml search- and set a large number of repetitions
for it. Plus I have the difficult option enabled. Even then, sometimes
I get no convergence just telling me that the likelihood is concave,
or some of the models converged to a case with basically only one
component present out of the possible two -- which is not impossible,
but unlikely in my case.

Thanks again,

Laszlo