RE: st: AW: xtserial and xtcsd do not run

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: AW: xtserial and xtcsd do not run
Date   Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:48:35 +0200

"-xtserial- is part of official Stata."

I cannot find it in my installation, but got it from -ssc-. It is certainly
not mentioned in my manuals, either...

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Mittwoch, 16. September 2009 19:43
Subject: RE: st: AW: xtserial and xtcsd do not run

-xtserial- is part of official Stata. Thus there is no question of
either installing or uninstalling it as an extra. Your problem with
-xtserial- arose because Stata was not properly updated previously.

-xtcsd- in contrast is a user-written program from SJ and SSC.

(Please remember to spell out where user-written programs you refer to
come from, as requested in the FAQ.)

It seems that you have problematic input for your calls to -xtcsd-. I
imagine that the authors of this program, who may not be members of
Statalist, would want to know much more about your data than you say

thank you for your fast and helpful response. I updated Stata and now
xtserial works.
With xtcsd I don't get the previuos error message anymore. However, if
I try xtreg, fe and then want to conduct xtcsd (method of Pesaran) it
. xtcsd, pesaran
Unknown function *sqrt()

or if I take Friedman/Frees it says:
. xtcsd, friedman
no observations

Do you have any ideas what may be the cause for these errors?