st: RE: Reshape question

From   "Kieran McCaul" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Reshape question
Date   Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:05:22 +0800

help xpose

Kieran McCaul MPH PhD
WA Centre for Health & Ageing (M573)
University of Western Australia
Level 6, Ainslie House
48 Murray St
Perth 6000
Phone: (08) 9224-2701
Fax: (08) 9224 8009
If you live to be one hundred, you've got it made.
Very few people die past that age - George Burns

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Si Yue Li
Sent: Monday, 14 September 2009 12:27 PM
Subject: st: Reshape question

Dear Statalist Users,

as a beginner, I am having some trouble importing large excel datatables

containing datastream output into stata long format. I checked with
faq/help files and think that the reshape command combined with some
data manipulations must be the answer. Right now I can get the data to
look like this in Stata:
|.|ID code1|ID code2|ID code3|ID code4|...
|date1| Xij|Xij|Xij|Xij|...
|date2| Xij|Xij|Xij|Xij|...

where Xij = Data

However from my past Stata experiences the usual long form is much
better to work with:

|ID code1|date1|Xij|
|ID code1|date2|Xij|
|ID code2|date1|Xij|
|ID code2|date2|Xij|

I think reshape will solve this for me, but I couldn't get anything to
Please offer advice, thank you.

Si Yue