st: How to get rid of duplicate individuals in a dataset?

From   Ekaterina Hertog <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to get rid of duplicate individuals in a dataset?
Date   Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:36:30 +0100

Dear all,

I had two datasets of partially overlapping individuals (and their characteristics) which I merged into 1 file using append. At the moment cannot think of how to get rid of the individuals which appear twice in the resulting dataset because of the overlap in the initial datasets. I cannot use duplicates I think because the two datasets do not have exactly the same variables. To be precise variables of dataset1 are a subset of variables of dataset2. As a result when I merged them into 1 dataset the entries for the same customer coming from dataset1 is not exactly identical to the entry coming from dataset2. I need to remove all the entries for those individuals from dataset1 which also appear in dataset2 and keep all the non-overlapping individuals.

I will be very grateful for any advice,
Warm regards,
Ekaterina