Re: st: RE: Creating interaction terms of 30 continuous variables

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Creating interaction terms of 30 continuous variables
Date   Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:12:02 -0400

I agree with Tony.   Making things worse, the interactions which
contain the same  variables will be correlated, making it difficult to
conclude much about single interactions.   If you have no specific
hypotheses, you must also apply the Bonferonni or similar correction
to conclusions about thel 30 original variables. Quite likely some of
thee are not needed--so why are you testing all the interaction terms?
 If you jackknife or bootstrap the entire procedure, you are likely to
find that the set of "significant" interactions is not stable.

Another likely error is that the linear form of some of the 30
original variables is not correct.  And  multicollinearity among so
many variables is possible, with its attendant difficulties.   For
guidance on how to proceed, read Frank Harrell, Regression modeling
strategies, Springer, New York 2001.

-Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]