st: Pairwise correlation of non-continuous variables

From   "Sockolow, Paulina" <>
Subject   st: Pairwise correlation of non-continuous variables
Date   Wed, 9 Sep 2009 15:41:18 -0400

Hi Stata list,
I have data from a small survey , and wanted to test for pairwise correlation among the items. There are less than 40 subjects, and 21 ordinal variables. I wanted to use a non-parametric test, setting statistical significance at 0.05, and ran:
 ktau <variable list> , pw p(0.05)

1. Was this the correct test for my question?

2. The output does not look like pairwise correlation output in that only some pairs have a value reported. Because of the ktau command, and the values reported are between 0 and 1, I am guessing the values are Kendall's tau. How do I interpret the output? Did Stata return only pairs that are correlated?

Thank you,